1. ________ we gave him something to eat, he would save it up for his little sister.
A. Whatever B. However
C. Whenever D. Whichever
2. Hard-working though he was, ________ there was never enough money to pay the bills.
A. / B. and
C. but D. therefore
3. Much hard ________ he tried，he flailed to catch up with the first runner.
A. although B. as
C. while D. when
4. I got in touch with Charles ________ I received his letter.
A. when immediately B. soon
C. immediately D. suddenly
5. We were just ________ calling you up ________ you came in.
A. about; when
B. on the point of; while
C. on the point of; when
D. on the point of; as
6. Most of his great novels and plays were not published or known to the public ________ his tragic (悲剧) death in 1786.
A. even before B. ever since
C. until after D. until before
7. Mr. Saddam Hussein had to go with the American soldiers, ________ .
A. no matter he likes or not
B. no matter he should like it or not
C. no matter whether he likes or not
D. no matter he may like it or not
8. ________ , I have to put it away and focus (集中)my attention on study this week.
A. However the story is amusing
B. No matter amusing the story is
C. However amusing the story is
D. No matter how the story is amusing
9. Most animals have little connection with animals of a different kind, ________ they hunt them for food.
A. if B. while
C. unless D. as
10. ________ he thought he was helping us with the work, he was actually in the way.
A. Although B. Unless
C. Because D. When
11. Babies sleep l6 to l8 hours in every 24 hours, and they sleep less ________ they grow older.
A. while B. as
C. when D. after
12. I have been keeping the portrait ________ I can see it every day, as it always reminds me of my childhood in Paris.
A. since B. where
C. as D. if
13. ________ your composition carefully, some spelling mistakes can be avoided.
A. Having checked B. Check
C. If you check D. To check